Testing MoPress from my BlackBerry Curve 8330. Will this post make it to Rottweilers Ate My Laptop?
Upgrades: one down, one to go.
If you don’t follow me on Twitter or didn’t catch my update yesterday (might still be over to the right, there): all went very well with the update to WordPress 2.8. Of course, you are thinking I am restating the obvious since you are reading it here. Just like with the server move over the last couple of weeks, I was almost psyched out by the people who had bad upgrade experiences to report. I am now in the group reporting good upgrade experiences. It was truly almost “just one click.”
The Movable Type update went better than I expected. It was a big shock being back in the land of Perl, though. Pretty much every script I’ve had to implement for my own sites, work sites, or sites belonging to my friends or clubs and organizations I volunteer for has been PHP over the last few years. Movable Type has always been written in Perl and has stayed that way even to the present day. Talk about bucking a trend.
Right now I have all of my old designs and templates backed up (in a couple of different locations) and the blog itself is running on default templates of the current version. It will take me a little while to change the look back. I’m a bit lost after having not edited Movable Type templates for literally years!
(NaBloPoMo | June ‘09: 11 of 30 | 75% Challenge: 138 of 274)
I peeked in on WordPress.org a couple of times during the day, but the final release of 2.8 hadn’t gone live by the time I left work. I just looked again and it’s live now. I’m debating whether to “relax” until bedtime by installing it here.
You probably think that is a strange definition of “relax.” Especially since I’m already knee-deep in the “relaxing” activity of resurrecting my old blogs, which were running on Movable Type 3.17 when I left them. Movable Type is now up to version 4.26 so I don’t expect a particularly smooth move. I’m debating whether to move these blogs from Movable Type to WordPress as well.
Speaking of blogs, look down there at my count… I’m halfway there for the 75% Challenge! We’re a NaBloPoMo group who knew from the get-go that we were not going to blog every day in 2009, but we were willing to commit to 75% or 274 days. So far, so good!
UPDATE 6/11/09 11:00 AM: My auto-update bar didn’t show up until sometime after I left the house and before I arrived at work today. I was too lazy to do a non-auto-update last night (although I did spend some time getting the MT blogs ready to update) so I’m changing the time frame for the last paragraph below!
If I am still here
in the morning later today, you know that my “relaxation” was successful. If not… I will be back sometime tomorrow with a technology fail story. Ssounds like a win-win, huh?
(NaBloPoMo | June ‘09: 10 of 30 | 75% Challenge: 137 of 274)
WordPress 2.8 is almost here
I should actually say that the stable release version of WordPress 2.8 is almost here. The beta version has been out since mid-May, and Release Candidate 1 is out now.
Much of what I’ve read about 2.8 seems to be about incremental improvements rather than major innovation (not that there are no innovations as it seems that Widgets have gotten a complete overhaul). And of course, with every update comes the fear that my favorite theme or plugins will break.
My big hope was for improved performance, as in speed. The only reference I see to that is something about faster loading of admin pages. Obviously I won’t complain if that is true, but not quite the performance overhaul I’d really like.
I will probably do the update sooner rather than later. I feel pretty brave following the server move. What could go wrong? Heh, don’t answer that yet!
(NaBloPoMo | June ‘09: 8 of 30 | 75% Challenge: 135 of 274)
VPS move: done, finally!
I am happy to report that while moving this blog gave me a few bad moments, WordPress did not actually kick my ass. The blog now even has its very own Rottweiler-themed subdomain!
The old URL links and forwards to this one, and I’ve updated the RSS feed and (hopefully) all of the directories and networking sites where we have listings.
Since the old servers were still running PHP 4 and one was still running Apache 1.3, and this one is running PHP 5 and Apache 2.2, I expect there are still a few things out there that will need fixing once we find them.
But for now, everything seems like it is going pretty well. Yay, me! Yay, WiredTree!
(NaBloPoMo | June ‘09: 5 of 30 | 75% Challenge: 132 of 274)